Friday, July 15, 2011

A Backpack full of Learning Fun!

I am always looking for ways to make the practice of rote skills fun, as I am sure we all are!  One of my students' favorite activities involves using a pocket chart and letter cards or number cards tying in with our current theme.  I randomly place the skill cards in the pocket chart (in this case the backpack cards) and then I hide the magic card (crayons card in the document I'm sharing) before the students enter the room.  We play the game as a whole group.  One child picks a card and names the letter, sound, number, etc.  That student then lifts up their card to see if they found the magic card.  If they did not find the magic card, they simply place their card back in the pocket chart facing backwards.  If the magic card is found, we usually continue to play anyway until all students have had a turn.  I play this game throughout the year, focusing on different skills and tying in our various themes on the cards to keep it interesting and fun.  They never seem to grow tired of it and it's a great way to have some fun while practicing some basic skills.  I will post the other variations of this game throughout the year.  Click the picture below to grab this freebie!  Don't forget to leave a comment to let me know what you think!
Click here for the math version!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention, but I also use the cards for a sequencing activities as well! You could also print two copies if you'd like and make a memory game!

    ReplyDelete